Chat GPT's answer about the risk assessment of nitrosamine in pharmaceuticals

@Yosukemino : Could you please explain how to perform a risk assessment of nitrosamine impurities in pharmaceuticals?

Chat GPT: Nitrosamine impurities in pharmaceuticals have been a growing concern in recent years due to their potential to cause cancer in humans. A risk assessment can be performed to evaluate the potential risk associated with nitrosamine impurities in pharmaceuticals. Here are the general steps to perform a risk assessment:

1. Identify the Nitrosamine Impurities: Identify the nitrosamine impurities that may be present in the pharmaceuticals. Common nitrosamines include N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA), N-nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA), and N-nitrosodiisopropylamine (NDIPA).

2. Evaluate the Potential Exposure: Determine the potential exposure to nitrosamine impurities. This can be done by evaluating the manufacturing process and the potential sources of nitrosamine contamination, such as raw materials and solvents.

3. Determine the Toxicity: Determine the toxicity of the nitrosamine impurities. This can be done by reviewing available toxicological data or conducting toxicity studies.

4. Assess the Risk: Assess the risk associated with nitrosamine impurities by combining the information obtained in the previous steps. This can be done using quantitative or qualitative methods. Quantitative methods may include calculating the daily intake of nitrosamine impurities, while qualitative methods may involve assigning scores to the potential exposure and toxicity.

5. Mitigate the Risk: If the risk assessment indicates that the risk associated with nitrosamine impurities is unacceptable, steps should be taken to mitigate the risk. This may involve changing the manufacturing process, sourcing raw materials from different suppliers, or implementing additional quality control measures.

It is important to note that the risk assessment should be periodically reviewed and updated as new information becomes available.

@Yosukemino : Thank you.
Chat GPT: You’re welcome! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

4 Likes

@Yosukemino: How to determine the acceptable intake of NDSRIs?
Chat GPT: Determining the acceptable intake of NDSRIs requires consideration of the potential health risks associated with exposure to these impurities. The acceptable intake of NDSRIs can be calculated by estimating the amount of NDSRIs that a patient could safely consume over a lifetime without an increased risk of cancer. To calculate the acceptable intake, the following steps can be taken:

1. Estimate the carcinogenic potency of the NDSRIs: The carcinogenic potency of NDSRIs can be estimated by reviewing available toxicological data and conducting quantitative risk assessments, such as the Margin of Exposure (MOE) approach.

2. Determine the exposure level: The exposure level can be estimated by measuring the amount of NDSRIs present in the drug substance and estimating the amount of drug substance that will be consumed by the patient.

3. Calculate the acceptable intake: The acceptable intake of NDSRIs can be calculated by dividing the carcinogenic potency of NDSRIs by the exposure level. This will provide an estimate of the maximum daily intake of NDSRIs that a patient can consume without an increased risk of cancer.

It is important to note that the acceptable intake of NDSRIs may vary depending on the patient population and the intended use of the drug substance. In addition, the acceptable intake should be periodically reviewed and updated as new information becomes available.

@Yosukemino: Are you familiar with NDSRIs? Your answer sounds strange.
Chat GPT: I apologize for the confusion earlier. I misspoke in my previous response. NDSRIs do not have an established acceptable intake like nitrosamine impurities. Instead, their presence is monitored in drug substances, and they must be controlled to levels below a specified threshold.

The control of NDSRIs in drug substances is typically based on the risk assessment of the drug substance and the potential exposure of patients. This involves evaluating the potential sources of nitrosamine contamination during the manufacturing process and setting appropriate limits on the levels of NDSRIs that are allowed in the drug substance.

The acceptable limits for NDSRIs in drug substances may vary depending on the regulatory authority and the drug substance in question. Regulatory authorities may require drug manufacturers to perform regular testing for NDSRIs and to report any findings that exceed established limits.

If NDSRIs are found in drug substances above the specified threshold, the manufacturer must take appropriate actions to reduce or eliminate the impurities. This may involve changing the manufacturing process, sourcing raw materials from different suppliers, or implementing additional quality control measures.

Again, I apologize for any confusion my earlier response may have caused.

Sorry, it will take longer to use in our work.

4 Likes

Thanks @Yosukemino for posting…It is interesting, when we ask questions- Chat GPT changes answers with different perspective.
That means Chat GPT organizes different perspectives and picking top one and responding, and when we ask questions, it is keeping up other perspectives too!!

2 Likes

I am getting worried. What if Chat GPT takes over my work :rofl: Hopefully, it will be a few years and nitrosamines will be commonplace by then

4 Likes

It makes me laugh. :joy:
From what I know of this technology, it has biases depending on the information it has access to. It has hilarious responses at times and conspiracy theorists (JFK :thinking:) . That is why I think that for now it is a simple entertainment and not the oracle of Delphi.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response, @Pradpharma, @ASrinivasan, and @IreneNS. Now it’s just entertainment. We can enjoy the progress of AI in the future.

But AI is learning a lot day by day. It may replace our work in the future. The experts will not be required anymore then. What will we do?

2 Likes

As long as we all are on the same page, it is good. I know a lot of people who are talking about how the enemy is pharma who are giving people drugs with cancer causing impurities. I have an aunt who is planning to stop taking her diabetes medication and use bitter gourd instead. I showed her a lot of information about how studies showed that bitter grourd (a remedy of diabetes per Indian Ayurveda) has shown no effect on sugar and she told me it was pharma conspiracy and fake data. Scary, when we are at the peak of being connected, we are also at the peak of being isolated in our own little worlds.

6 Likes

One thing I’ve noticed is that ChatGPT does not have access to articles behind a paywall (which is most journals) so it bluffs there

2 Likes

I don’t think it will replace the human knowledge, because individual experience matter lot to resolve the issues. So, don’t worry :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

N-nitroso-varenicline1

@Yosukemino : Can N-Nitroso-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine(NTHP) be used to calculate the acceptable intake of N-nitroso-varenicline(NNV) through read-across?

Chat GPT : It is theoretically possible to use N-nitroso-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (NTHP) as a read-across compound to estimate the acceptable intake of N-nitroso-varenicline (NNV). NTHP and NNV are both nitrosated compounds, and therefore, they may share similar toxicological properties.

However, read-across assessments are typically conducted on compounds that are structurally similar to the compound of interest. NTHP and NNV have different structures and may have different toxicological properties. Therefore, it is important to consider the relevance of the read-across compound and its applicability to the compound of interest.

The FDA and other regulatory agencies typically conduct toxicological studies on the compound of interest to determine its potential risks to human health. These studies may include animal studies, in vitro tests, and epidemiological studies. Based on the results of these studies, an acceptable intake level can be established.

While read-across assessments can provide some information on the potential risks associated with a compound, they are typically used as a supplement to toxicological studies, not as a replacement for them. Therefore, it is unlikely that the acceptable intake of NNV would be solely determined based on a read-across from NTHP.

@Yosukemino : But NTHP may be the best compound in the nitrosamines with robust and valid toxicological profiles for read-across to determine the acceptable intake of N-nitroso-varenicline(NNV).

Chat GPT : It is possible that NTHP may be considered a suitable read-across compound to estimate the potential toxicological effects of N-nitroso-varenicline (NNV), as both compounds are nitrosated and share some structural similarities. However, the appropriateness of using NTHP for this purpose would ultimately depend on the available toxicological data for both compounds.

To determine the acceptable intake of NNV, regulatory agencies such as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) typically conduct toxicological studies on the compound itself. These studies may include animal studies, in vitro tests, and epidemiological studies. Based on the results of these studies, an acceptable intake level can be established.

Read-across assessments are typically used as a supplement to these toxicological studies, rather than a replacement for them. The validity of a read-across assessment depends on the quality and relevance of the data available for the read-across compound. Therefore, even if NTHP has a robust and valid toxicological profile, it may not necessarily be appropriate as a read-across compound for NNV if there are other compounds with more similar structures and toxicological profiles.

(continued)

N-nitroso-varenicline2

@Yosukemino : What nitrosamine do you think is the best for read-across to determine the acceptable intake of N-nitroso-varenicline(NNV)?

Chat GPT: The selection of an appropriate read-across compound to estimate the potential toxicological effects of N-nitroso-varenicline (NNV) would depend on several factors, including structural similarity, toxicological properties, and availability of reliable data.

One possible nitrosamine that could be considered for read-across is N-nitrosopyrrolidine (NPYR). NPYR is a structurally similar nitrosamine that has been extensively studied for its toxicological properties. It has been used as a read-across compound for other nitrosamines, including N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) and N-nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA), which are also known impurities in pharmaceutical products.

However, the selection of a read-across compound ultimately depends on the specific characteristics of the compound of interest and the availability of reliable data. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and other regulatory agencies typically consider multiple compounds and data sources when conducting risk assessments and determining acceptable intake levels for impurities such as NNV.

@Yosukemino : Why do EMA and FDA use NTHP as the surrogate for read-across to determine the acceptable intake of N-nitroso-varenicline(NNV)?

Chat GPT: I apologize for any confusion I may have caused in my previous response. To the best of my knowledge, the European Medicines Agency (EMA) and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) do not currently use N-nitroso-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (NTHP) as a read-across compound to determine the acceptable intake of N-nitroso-varenicline (NNV).

The acceptable intake level for NNV has been established based on toxicological studies and risk assessments conducted by the regulatory agencies. The acceptable intake limit of 37 ng/day for NNV is based on a read-across method from toxicological studies of similar compounds. The toxicological properties of other nitrosated compounds were used to estimate the potential risks associated with NNV exposure.

Read-across assessments can provide some information on the potential risks associated with a compound, but they are typically used as a supplement to toxicological studies, not as a replacement for them. The regulatory agencies typically conduct toxicological studies on the compound of interest to determine its potential risks to human health. These studies may include animal studies, in vitro tests, and epidemiological studies. Based on the results of these studies, an acceptable intake level can be established.

@Yosukemino : But the acceptable intake of NTHP is also 37 ng/day. Is it a coincidence?

Chat GPT: I apologize for any confusion my previous response may have caused. To the best of my knowledge, there is no established acceptable intake limit for N-nitroso-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (NTHP). NTHP is not a commonly used read-across compound for N-nitroso-varenicline (NNV) in the literature, and I am not aware of any regulatory agencies that use NTHP as a surrogate compound for NNV.

The acceptable intake limit of 37 ng/day for NNV is based on a risk assessment conducted by the regulatory agencies. The risk assessment takes into account toxicological data from various sources, including animal studies, in vitro tests, and epidemiological studies. The specific acceptable intake limit for NNV may be based on the potency of the compound, the likelihood of exposure, and the potential health risks associated with exposure.

It is possible that NTHP and NNV may have similar acceptable intake limits if they have similar toxicity profiles and are expected to pose similar risks to human health. However, without access to specific data and risk assessments conducted by the regulatory agencies, it is difficult to say for certain why the acceptable intake limits for these compounds may be the same or similar.

Conclusion: The data he can access is limited.

You all are having way too much fun with Chat GPT! Interesting findings, but once the AI open to updated data, it will be interesting how can be leverage such tools. We still need a specialized review of the outcome but interesting indeed!

AI is learning at an amazing rate. And if AI could access all of the data, it could reach the correct answer in seconds. It’s interesting but a bit scary.

Where Might the Cohort of Concern End?

@Yosukemino: Are nitrosamines without any α-hydrogen such as N-Nitrosodiphenylamine(NDPhA) considered a cohort of concern?

Chat GPT: Yes, nitrosamines without any α-hydrogen such as N-Nitrosodiphenylamine (NDPhA) are considered a cohort of concern due to their potential health effects. Nitrosamines are a group of chemical compounds that can be formed in the presence of nitrites and amines, and they have been identified as a potential human carcinogen.

NDPhA is a member of this group of compounds and has been classified as a possible human carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). Exposure to NDPhA has been linked to an increased risk of cancer in animal studies, although the evidence in humans is less clear.

Therefore, it is important to limit exposure to nitrosamines such as NDPhA through regulation and monitoring of food and drinking water sources, as well as workplace exposure in industries that may use or produce these compounds.

@Yosukemino: But nitrosamines without any α-hydrogen are prevented from the critical metabolic activation, the generation of a diazonium ion via α-hydroxylation. The acceptable intake of NDPhA is 78,000 ng/day, much higher than those of other representative nitrosamines. Can nitrosamines without any α-hydrogen be still considered a cohort of concern?

Chat GPT: While it is true that nitrosamines without any α-hydrogen are less likely to undergo metabolic activation and form a diazonium ion, which is a critical step in their carcinogenicity, these compounds are still considered a cohort of concern.

This is because there is evidence that suggests that nitrosamines without any α-hydrogen can still cause adverse health effects, including carcinogenicity, through other mechanisms. For example, some studies have suggested that NDPhA and other nitrosamines without α-hydrogen may induce oxidative stress, which can lead to DNA damage and contribute to the development of cancer.

Furthermore, the acceptable intake level of a compound is not a guarantee of safety, but rather a level at which it is considered unlikely to cause harm when consumed over a lifetime. The acceptable intake level for NDPhA of 78,000 ng/day is based on available toxicity data, but it is still important to minimize exposure to this and other nitrosamines as much as possible.

Therefore, nitrosamines without any α-hydrogen, including NDPhA, are still considered a cohort of concern and efforts should be made to minimize exposure to these compounds. This can be achieved through regulation, monitoring, and mitigation measures in industries and products where these compounds may be present.

The answer to the first question changed from yes to no when asked repeatedly.

1 Like

AI is learning at an impressive rate. For now, it seems to be giving not-so-conclusive answers as we are gathering more data. Nevertheless, it provides general bases for approching nitrosamines issues.

2 Likes

I think the biggest handicap is that you don’t have access to paid databases (for example paid scientific journals). It is based on freely accessible databases and that generates biases. Also another failure is that you can feed it wrong data and the answer will be wrong.

1 Like

At present AI provides superficial information only for very technical subjects.
in future at least if it provides all resources to work upon them, it may provide way forward. Till time we have to work :smile: :smile:

1 Like