MEGLUMINE (Methylglucamine)

Hi!
someone is with the meglumine?
Meglumine (Methylglucamine) is an amino sugar derived from sorbitol.

NITROSO

1 Like

InChI=1S/C7H17NO5/c1-8-2-4(10)6(12)7(13)5(11)3-9/h4-13H,2-3H2,1H3/t4-,5+,6+,7+/m0/s1

1 Like

Meglumine can form a nitrosamine-the nitrosomeglumine is commercially available.

3 Likes

Thanks to both of you!
The nitrosamine is commercially available. True!

1. On the one hand, the problem is more analytical.
    I don’t know if anyone has evaluated the API/raw material content, being so polar it is a candidate for HILIC chromatography/ or sugar/amino column to try to retain and separate (even more so when using MS systems limited by volatile phase). I know that USP has a meglumine standard but I don’t know if this impurity is evaluated as such (or in the future).
  2. I also don’t know if anyone has evaluated the conversion rate of meglumine to nitrous. It may be a problem, if it is very favorable. I have seen that in the chemical industry it was eliminated as an intermediate for surfactants because nitrosamine should be formed very easily if there were unreacted remains.
  3. We lack data from some suppliers of this material when buying it.

Regards

Meglumine can nitrosate quite easily and you are right, @IreneNS , it is very difficult to analyze the hydroxy nitrosamines of this kind at low levels because they trail in the reverse phase LC and refuse to elute in many other column packing. especially trying to analyze small amounts is very tough due to trailing. I have faced this during my laboratory days. Try to see if you can derivatize the hydroxy groups in some way to stop the trailing. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention. Other option is as you said, to try some columns that are used traditionally for sugars to see how sensitive they are. Possibly you will be doing a lot of path finding work here :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Maybe @Aaron @Rajeshd @Adriana could suggest any resource for the challenge described above?

1 Like

Thank you very much for the reply.
I haven’t started the task yet, but I’m going to launch into asking lab vendors about the new columns. I have seen that Merck releases its coa with an amide ascentis for example… but I will ask if there are any news in columns (HILIC Sugar etc).
The problem is always the same for me. A client or authority asks the question and they give an absurd response time. There is no method and it looks horrible to set up a parsing method that works (and that we can leave for the batch release routine).
life is hard…

1 Like

Thank you!! As meglumine is at USP, one day, some of this will be included in their monograph.
So I think it’s interesting to think that it can work as a method… or that marketing people from large suppliers have it on their list of customer needs.
Greetings to all. :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Naiffer,
We had success separating meglumine and the n-nitroso meglumine in HILIC mode using Luna Omega Sugar column.

Best,

Rajesh

4 Likes

Thank you for the information!! :smiley: You make me so happy. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Rajesh can you please share the method we are very struggling the same method

Shall we apply NDSRI strategy for this impurity cause meglumine is to be used as excipient in the formulation drug products.

1 Like

Meglumine is commonly used excipient in the drug product formulations. Did anyone apply NDSRI strategy for meglumine nitrosamine impurity?

1 Like

yes I was apply NDSRI for your suggestion thank you.

Now AI of nitroso-meglumine is included in EMA appendix 1. 1500 ng/day is applicable based on negative bacterial reverse mutation test.

3 Likes

correct it was given under Telmisartan molecule

1 Like