N-nitroso-Impurity C in Metamizol Drug product

Hello dear Community
it is a pleasure to join such an amazing group

Recently we found an FDA workshop conducted back in 2021, titled : Nitrosamines as Impurities in Drugs; Health Risk Assessment and Mitigation.
The attached is one of the pages as shared

We cant find the exact literature reference given (Berscheid et al 1978) concluding that N-nitroso-impurity C in metamizole is not carcinogenic. Your help would be much appreciated.

Best regards
Eleni

I believe this is the reference you are looking for:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/anie.197803672

1 Like

I have found this article which seems to be relevant:
https://bpspubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdfdirect/10.1111/j.1365-2125.1980.tb01815.x

It is citing

2 Likes

Dear Naiffer

thank you for your kind input.

please note that I have also found this link, but no access is permitted right now.

[The Potential carcinogenicity of nitrosatable drugs : WHO symposium, Geneva, June 1978 - NLM Catalog - NCBI (nih.gov)] The Potential carcinogenicity of nitrosatable drugs : WHO symposium, Geneva, June 1978 - NLM Catalog - NCBI

Do you have the exact paper?

Thank you

Thank you very much

I trust the original paper can be found here

[The Potential carcinogenicity of nitrosatable drugs : WHO symposium, Geneva, June 1978 - NLM Catalog - NCBI (nih.gov)] The Potential carcinogenicity of nitrosatable drugs : WHO symposium, Geneva, June 1978 - NLM Catalog - NCBI

Best regards

Hi @elenipoliti this reference seems to be a book, were you able to access it online?

There are indeed several interesting WHO or IARC symposium books from late seventies or early eighties on nitrosamine toxicology and related topics, typically combining many articles in a booklet hence the type of citation. Some books I have retrieved, but this one I haven’t read yet or retrieved yet.

However:
This procedure can help to access these publications in case they can’t be retrieved in online libraries:

1. Use the WHO book order form to retrieve the symposium book

See also: bookorders@who.int

Most of the time the older books will be out of print and the WHO will confirm unavailability of the book.

1. In case of an IARC publication: request a printed or digital copy to the IARC via publications@iarc.fr

If it is not out of print or has been digitalised, the IARC should be able to help to retrieve information for personal use.
If not IARC might recommend online old book shops like abebooks.com to search for copies.

This process worked for me in the past.

In Worldcat you can also see which libraries still have physical copies.
Often libraries will be able to digitalise and share the work at a cost, directly with you or with your local library.

If we are anyway talking older books worth reading on nitrosamines:
The comprehensive book from 1992 from William Lijinsky (who was working as a cancer researcher for the US government and studying nitrosation) has been reprinted in 2011 after his death in 2004 (thinking his work hadn’t been useful according to his wife in a 2023 interview).
Lijinsky, W. (1992). Chemistry and Biology of N-nitroso compounds. Cambridge Monographs on Cancer Research. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge and New York, 464 p.

3 Likes

Thanks @ccdw this is very useful!!

I am trying to get access to it through our library…

Dear all,
@fernandaw @ccdw and @Naiffer_Host thank you for coming back to my initial post and for your kind efforts access the article.
kindly note that we proceeded with its purchase.
should you need me to upload the same for your reference please let me know.

best regards
E

1 Like

Please if you could!

Dear all

happy Monday :slight_smile:

you may find the article attached. Hope it helps.
berscheid-et-al-1978.pdf (1.8 MB)

1 Like