Novartis pauses some trials of cancer drug Kisqali to fix manufacturing

The Swiss drugmaker said the stoppage is necessary to conform with new regulatory limits on nitrosamine, but will not affect commercial supply.

The FDA has sought to reduce patient exposure to nitrosamine impurities over worries they might cause cancer in Ph-3 trials of breast cancer drug Kisqali.

Kisqali 's API is ribociclib. N-nitroso -ribociclib impurity 1 is included in Appendix 1 as Category 3.

ribociclib

3 Likes

Hi Yosuke,
is getting more and more weird…as far as i know this drug is for patients for advanced cancer, so the corresponding nitrosamine should be controlled under the limits of ICHQ3, according to the ICHS9.
‘‘The FDA has sought to reduce patient exposure to nitrosamine impurities over worries they might cause cancer in Ph-3 trials of breast cancer drug Kisqali.’’ !!! is this a joke? It is not reasonable to me to set limits to address any cancer risk <1/100000 to patients who are suffering from cancer.

1 Like

Hi Christos,

I don’t think that this is an error or a joke. Ribociclib is currently authorized as anti-cancer drug, but a new study suggest the efficacy of Ribiciclib to prevent the risk of recurrence AFTER surgical removal:
Adding Ribociclib to Hormonal Therapy Reduces Risk of Recurrence for People With Most Common Subtype of Breast Cancer
In this case, because the cancer has been removed, such terapy cannot be strictly considered “for advanced cancer indications as defined in the scope of ICH S9”. I suppose that Novartis is doing a similar clinical trial.
In fact Novartis suspended the clinical trial only, not the marketed drug product.
Of course this is only a supposition, but I think that it is reasonable.

4 Likes

thanks a lot Giovanni.
This could make some sense but only if the indication for ‘‘advance cancer’’ was ommited. As long as the indication for advance cancer is still present then it is still under the scope of ICHS9.
Furthermore, ‘‘diving’’ into the article that Yosuke add, it seems that all of this could be due to competition (?)
‘‘Nonetheless, the manufacturing scrutiny will be a “marginal” positive for Eli Lilly, provided Verzenio doesn’t have the same impurities…’’
Verzenio (abemaciclib is an ethyl-piperazine derivative, meaning that the formation of nitrosamine is much more difficult than the one in Ribociclib.
Anyway, this is very interesting case

2 Likes

I am sorry for confusing you, @chrischar. I am also confused with this complicated news. And thank you for your insight, @paliog. It sounds reasonable. In addition that, NDSRI guidance is applied to clinical, as guidance mentioned. The information shared has uncertainty, so we should pay attention to further news.

Yosuke

1 Like

Yosuke, you did not confuse me, FDA has done this :blush:
thanks

1 Like

Ribociclib is a triple disaster when it comes to nitrosamines. It is a significant source of NDMA (amide of the secondary amine, dimethylamine) and has two secondary amino groups. Though it is a drug for breast cancer and is expected to be taken for a long period of time unlike many other chemotherapy drugs. I feel NDMA is the true threat here. But it will be interesting to see where we go with this.

2 Likes

Dear ASrinivasan,
between the two secondary amino-groups of Ribociclib, the piperazine type amine is far more reactive than the amine between the aromatic rings, so any free nitrite would react with the first one and not with the second.
Regarding the NDMA, for its formation in the final product, it is necessary first the hydrolysis of Ribociclib. Apparently, this is not very easy as the double bond in the pyrrole ring next to the amide could be in resonance with the carbonyl group and deactivate the positive charge on carbon.
NDMA could be a threat, in case dimethylamine is used in the last step of synthesis of the API.
Thanks for flag this issue.

3 Likes

Are you at liberty to disclose if this is based on general chemistry insights (though nitrosation selectiveness and ease can be different in solution: Mechanochemistry for Healthcare: Revealing the Nitroso Derivatives Genesis in the Solid State - Basoccu - 2024 - ChemSusChem - Wiley Online Library) or based on experimental testing linked to ribociclib or a related model system? (And if so, if it was investigating nitrosation in solution or in the solid phase?)

(International limit lists so far do support the specific attention to the piperazine.)

2 Likes

dear ccdw,
this claim was based just on general organic chemistry…aromatic amines should be generally less reactive as the negative charge of the nitrogen is delocalized through the resonance with the aromatic group. In case two aromatic rings are on both sides this phenophenon is anticipated to be stronger and the nucleophilicity of the secondary amine to decreased.
Hope i explain this sufficient

1 Like

Agree, with traces of nitrite, it is the piperazine that is more vulnerable. But for these kind of molecules are more vulnerable at the secondary amine group. So NDMA may trump the NDSRI.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying, I was hoping you had stoichiometric chemistry qNMR data on conversion and selectivity between the amines and C-nitration and N-nitrosation, because it is such an interesting molecule as ASrinivasan points out. (Note that for alkylanilines also basicity plays a role and nitrosation can be quite fast, cf. Ashworth 2020 https://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.oprd.0c00224).

See also examples in Mechanochemistry for Healthcare: Revealing the Nitroso Derivatives Genesis in the Solid State - Basoccu - 2024 - ChemSusChem - Wiley Online Library: the reactivity trend might be matrix and risk-factor dependent. This explains why nonetheless nitrosated diarylamines are in the limit lists (whereas some limit lists only included NDSRIs which have been detected >10%), though such detection is not evident for each matrix, diversification in risk and selectivity across matrices can exist.

2 Likes

thanks a lot Wybon for such a valuable information, it is much appreciated.