Can we build a list of 'impossible to synthesized Nitrosamines'?

Reading a recent post from Dr. Teasdale (@AndyTeasdale) got me thinking… Can we build together a list of impossible to synthesized nitrosamine impurities? I believe this information can be extremely useful to the entire community, especially those dealing with drug-substance-related Nitrosamines (NDSRIs). There is nothing proprietary about sharing if you were not able to produce a particular nitrosamine impurity in the lab!

The key point here and one that aligns to the EMA Q&A document is that if it is impossible to synthesize the N-Nitrosamine then it is assumed that it cannot be formed in vivo. A good example is within the Nitroso-Derivatives of Dihydropyridine Calcium Channel Blockers (CCBs) - Dr. Teasdale

9 Likes

We are planning as part of the OPR&D Nitrosamines special edition to address this in terms of the specific conditions to use to attempt to form a specific Nitrosamine - we can as part of this look to identify those compounds that cannot be synthesised

7 Likes

@AndyTeasdale I am assuming it will be by looking at the reactivity of the amine group to the nitrosation reaction, correct?
Those findings can be validated to a degree by contributions from all the community members responsible for synthesizing nitrosamines compounds for their organizations.

@trust_user_a @trust_user_b Can you share nitroso-compounds that in your experience were ‘impossible’ to synthesize? Thanks in advance…

3 Likes

Many of the compounds which have primary and secondary amine groups will fall in this category. Eons back, I had a really tough time trying to make a nitrosamine, where there was a beta- amino group. Had to go all around protection and deprotection and the yield was poor. But it would be good to have a list of these, as you said. Do we want to make some kind of a repository and as an when we hear that people could not make a particular nitrosamine, we could add it there.

7 Likes

A number of APIs have been tested for the formation of N-Nitroso compounds (NOCs), and nitrosamines were not always detected. I would mention:

1. Schmidtsdorff et al. (2022 - DOI: 10.1002/ardp.202100435) tested 67 compounds in a forced degradation study performed with a four‐fold molar excess of sodium nitrite, relative to the drug substance, at pH 3–4 for 4 h at 37°C
  2. Brambilla et al. (2007 - DOI: 10.1016/j.mrrev.2006.09.003) reviewed data on 182 drugs for their ability to react with nitrite in various experimental conditions
  3. Gillat et al. (1984 - DOI: 10.1016/0278-6915(84)90005-x)
6 Likes

It really true, that many of nitrosamine are very difficult for synthesis. Will share these.

3 Likes

Yes, it is true.
If structure having acidic nitrogen (Amine) it is very difficult to form nitroso.

1 Like

This was part of the basis for the position paper we prepared for the calcium channel blockers.

4 Likes

Can you please add the reference to include it here? Thanks

1 Like

Is this paper avaiable to community? Thank you!

Position Paper for Nitroso-Dihydropyridine CCBs - 18Jul2022.pdf (199.3 KB)

This is the position paper for nitroso-calcium channel blockers ("-dipines") that was circulated amongst EFPIA members and shared with the NIOG.

4 Likes